sensory blanket

sensory blanket
(made for mary anne) Praising Him with the work of my simple hands

Thursday, August 17, 2017

How the Gaither Vocal Band saved the day!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqHFOiyMouI

This is one of my favorite songs by the Gaithers. But I do prefer the version utube has that is included in a long selection of their songs; grouped to play consecutively.

I was sewing this last night~
It was raining the monsoon rain we often get in the fall here.
And this super stupid-easy pattern was giving me fits!

Some of it was my fault. I accidentally cut the 3x size instead of the xl size.(I always think I'm bigger than I am)
It was re-cut easily using the same pieces.

Part of it was their fault- how can a xl yoke fit so beautifully and then be so absolutely tight throughout the side seams of the body?

I hated their construction order. I like to sew my yoke facing on the neck and then sew the shoulders together with the facing. I can't stand "easing" the sewn together facing into my neck opening. ugh. So seam rip. Re-do my way.

The pattern was giving me fits. To keep from having a bad attitude (which always makes things worse) I turned on the radio. Nothing sounded helpful. Until I remembered utube. But who to listen to? And then it hit me, my very favorite! The Gaithers.

And then it was smooth sewing!

Above the sleeve hem was to be folded over. I made my own bias tape (above) instead. I love it.

The top fabric was a cherished piece I had store up here in the woods. The bottom fabric was the bed sheet I wrote about a few posts back.

The patterns front photo showed the completed top was not as "full" as I like, or as long as I like. I added 5" in length. But I made the top as is. It was not form fitting- it was tight! I was so frustrated.

So I improvised.
Above you can see the V insert I added from under the yoke to the hem. I needed fullness!

                                       Here you can see the start of the V insert under the arm.

 
I made more bias tape to hem the bottom . I remember years ago hand stitching bias to the inside of the garment because seeing stitches was a sign of sloppy work! Now its acceptable to sew it on with the machine!

I pinned the shirt onto my xtra lrg martha stewart ironing board. (purchased when Martha had her own catolog- eons ago!) It was so hard to get a "good" picture.


        Here you can see the V (above) added to the back. Every time I pass by it it makes me smile.

My sweet Zay took these photos for me. I love how it turned out! It's very comfortable. The sheet fabric is perfect. I was worried it was too sheer, but it isn't at all.

The front.
I could have cut a bit larger front and gathered it for more fullness there. It still would not have helped the snug side seams. And may have made it more like maternity wear. But once I decided to insert the side V, I did not want to take the front piece off and re-do it. I should have let the sides show in this picture, like the back side photo! It's very flattering to wear.

It was way too much time spent on a pattern that should have sewn up in an hour and a half tops.
Considering the Cashmerette Springfield top went together with such ease, I'm thinking I may not make this pattern again.

The best part of my sewing night was my music. If you've never heard Mark Lowry and Bill Gaither make jokes, you need to go watch. Mark is hilarious! And Mark wrote the song "Mary Did You Know". He sings beautifully too. So gifted by God!

Happy Creating! God Bless!
thanx for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! (((HUG))) We love comments! Please be kind ;o)

Sew done with Indigo patterns (nothing personal Indigo)

 I made a 2nd shirt for Isaiah yesterday with the same 50's pattern. This is the back. Isaiah picked out the fabric. I call the shirt ...